MDS SD Series
Long Range IP/Ethernet & Serial SD1, SD2, SD4 & SD9
The MDS™ SD Series are industrial wireless solutions that provide long distance communications over licensed radio bands, allowing users to interface to both Ethernet and serial devices such PLCs, RTUs and meters with host monitoring and control systems.
The SD Series is the latest generation of MDS licensed narrowband wireless devices providing exceptional communication performance and reliability to meet demands for IP/Ethernet services as well as support for multiple devices and host systems. The SD is compatible with previous generations allowing for a smooth and controlled migration for existing systems. The SD Series radios are compatible with the MDS Master Station.
Upgrade your existing MDS x710/x790 network to the MDS SD Series through the SD Loyalty Program. Download the SD Loyalty Program brochure to learn more.
- High speed, up to 65 Kbps in 50 KHz channel in SD2 and SD9
- Operate IP/Ethernet and serial communication on a single network
- Connect multiple host systems to a single Access Point radio
- Connect multiple devices to a single remote radio
- Implement push communication and report by exception from remote devices
- Simple, intuitive web based configuration and maintenance
- Easy migration path from serial to IP/Ethernet
- Backward compatible with existing MDS x710 networks
- Compatible with the MDS Master Station
SD Series Application Advantages
SD Series Application Advantages
- Operational temperature range from –40°C to 70°C
- CSA Class I, Div. 2 groups A,B,C,D for Hazardous Locations
- IEEE1613, IEC 61850-3 and EN61000 for electric substation environments
- Supports two serial ports and an IP/Ethernet port simultaneously
- Broad coverage flexibility over distances up to 50 miles
- Supports Ethernet Bridging, IP to serial and serial to serial communications
- Low power consumption with sleep mode for solar and battery powered applications
- Fast-serial features with embedded terminal server functions for serial to IP/ Ethernet encapsulation
- Extend communication paths using single radio store and forward
Reliable & Scalable
- Exclusive, non-shared licensed band operation
- High performance Media Access Control for asynchronous polling and exception reporting
- Collision detection and avoidance insures data arrives at destination without lost messages
- High receive sensitivity for long distance communications
- Compatible with multiple industry protocols including Modbus, Modbus TCP, and DNP3
- AES 128-bit data encryption
- Password protected access
- VLAN data segregation
Long Range communications
The MDS SD Series of industrial-strength radios offer secure, reliable, long distance transmission of data for your
mission critical applications. The SD Series combines 5 Watt transmit power and exceptional receive sensitivity to support wide coverage areas and maximum performance when difficult terrain or obstructions such as trees and buildings limit the effectiveness of other wireless devices. The SD Series operates in the 100 MHz(SD1), 200 MHz (SD2), 400 MHz (SD4) and 900 MHz (SD9) frequencies and allows users to select the channel size and modulation option best suited to their unique requirements. The combination of these features results in the ideal data acquisition product for error free, long distance communication.
MDS SD Series radios can be directly added to existing MDS x710 and x790 systems, providing both "drop-in" compatibility for expansions and replacements, and adding Ethernet support. Backward compatibility preserves your investment and allows a smooth transition from a serial based SCADA infrastructure to IP/Ethernet without disrupting day-to-day operations.
SD Series Remote
The SD1 radio operates in the 100 MHz frequency band, SD2 radio operates in the 200 MHz frequency band, SD4 operates in the 300 and 400 MHz frequency band, and the SD9 operates in the 900 MHz
frequency band. Choose between models that support both Ethernet and serial, or only serial interface. The SD Series handles concurrent
Ethernet and serial traffic using built-in terminal server plus industry- standard TCP or UDP protocols.
The SD Series handles concurrent Ethernet and serial traffic from multiple sources. Directly communicate to multiple PLCs using the built-in
serial device server and modem-sharing device using industry-standard TCP or UDP protocols.
SDxP Redundant/Protected Models
The SDxP is used when applications demand no single point of failure for the communications system. The MDS SDxP incorporates two MDS SD transceivers and power supplies with automatic or manual switchover capability. On detection of a failure, the MDS SDxP switches immediately to the standby transceiver. The switchover occurs for selectable transceiver alarm conditions. Switchover also occurs when no valid packets are received in a time frame of 1–30 minutes, or upon loss of power to the operating radio. An internal backup battery is provided in AC-powered models for continued operation during a loss of primary power.
SDA Adaptor for 4790/9790 Radios
The SDA adaptor is used with 4790 and 9790 Master Stations to add IP/ Ethernet connectivity and SD features. The SDA can be ordered with new Master Stations or easily added to equipment already installed. Once connected to a 4790/9790, one (1) serial port and one (1) Ethernet port are available for connection to external systems or devices.