Introduction to HVDC (HVDC001)
Who should attend?
For electrical engineer
What will I learn from this course?
- Describe the development of HVDC converters and functional working (High Voltage Direct Current)
- Describe the elements of the HVDC converters
Introduction to HVDC
- Historical review and development, benefits of HVDC, geographical challenges, economic value, projects
- What is HVDC? Circuit arrangement, power thyristor, basic 6 pulse operation, a basic 6 pulse converter model, statics characteristics, 12 pulse converter, reactive power.
Introduction to valve
- Overview of thyristor valve, evolution, H400 HVDC valve
HVDC valve components
- GE H400 valve module, thyristor characteristics, other thyristor level components, damping capacitor, damping resistor, grading resistor, di/dt reactor, gate unit, H400 valve cooling
Introduction to control and protection of HVDC systems
- Control objectives, HVDC basic configuration, control principles and hierarch, scheme operational states, control modes, sequencing, limits, rectifier and inverter control, measurements, HVDC protection.
Introduction to Voltage Source Converter (VSC)
- VSC basics, type of multi-level VSC,
- VSC for HVDC, the GE VSC solution
Qualification and/or experience in power electronics