g³ is an environmentally friendly alternative to SF6 that provides a number of technical, environmental and financial advantages.
g³ is fully type-tested and commercially available for GIS up to 145 kV, GIL up to 420kV and AIS current transformers up to 245 kV.
g³ is applicable in the same environmental conditions and at the same ambient temperature ranges as SF6.
g³ high voltage equipment feature the same dimensional footprint as state-of the-art SF6 equipment.
g³ is non toxic and falls in the same safety class as SF6.
g³ Global Warming Potential represents only 1 to 2 % of that of SF6.
Replacing 1kg of SF6 with g³ is equivalent to saving 16 cars running one year. The potential for global warming reduction is further underscored when you look at the sheer quantity of SF6 installed worldwide. 10,000 tons of SF6 are installed each year, with 80% concentrated in the transmission industry
Utilities can qualify for tax reductions or incentives related to greenhouse gas emissions reduction.
g³ is a fully type-tested gas mixture that provides the same technical performance as SF6, while reducing the environmental impact.
GREEN AND SAFE
Dielectric Withstand: 100% that of SF6. g³ can achive 100% of SF6 performance, under the same ambient conditions and down to -25℃ for GIS or -30℃ for AIS
Breaking Performance : Suitable for circuit breakers. g³ has demonstrated breaking capabilities up to 420 kV. The dimensions and the operating energy are similar to that of SF6 equipment.
Switching Bus-Transfer Current : Suitable for GIS disconnectors. The gas mixture has a good switching bus-transfer current capability and can be used as a substitute for SF6 for this application.
Compliant with T&D Europe guide for validation of SF6 alternative gas
GAS HANDLING SYSTEMS SET
- Impact on GWP reduced by 99% compared with SF6
- No impact on ozone depletion
- In the same toxicity class as SF6 in its fresh state or after interruption in a circuit breaker
- Non flammable and avoid risk of soil pollution
- 3M Novec 4710 molecule, contained in gas mixture with C02 and 02, is registered in accordance with European REACH process for chemicals
- g³ supply, g³ handling and g³ monitoring solutions are available with our partners
- Gas mixtures prepared in factories by certified suppliers
- g³ filling at customer sites with gas cart
- Accessories for HV equipment including density switches, valves, moisture absorber
- Measurement devices to monitor gas ratio, moisture, tightness and detect leakage
Green Gas for Grid Videos
This collection of videos and industry expert talks explores SF6-free insulating gas for HV switchgear and the impacts on the environment between various mixtures including SF6 versus g³. Discover what GE’s g³ replacement for SF6 gas means for HV equipment, and how this SF6 free gas is already type-tested and available for GIS up to 145 kV, GIL up to 420kV, AIS current transformers up to 245 kV.