Cost-Effective, Accurate Time Synchronization
Accurate time synchronization is becoming a critical requirement in today’s power system substations. For example:
- Synchrophasor measurements to support wide area monitoring systems and remedial action schemes require time synchronization accurate down to 1 microsecond
- Merging units, that publish sampled values for use by protective relays, meters, and control devices require time synchronization accuracy of 25 microseconds
- Coordinating fault records and event logs across multiple devices requires time synchronization of 500 microseconds
There are two different challenges to the traditional method for time synchronization. The first is that time synchronization has been implemented by connecting end devices to a local satellite clock. This synchronizes all elements in a specific substation together, but this may not be adequate for system wide applications like synchrophasors. The second challenge is that accurate time synchronization has required a dedicated time network.
The most common method employed which provides the accuracy required is IRIB-G. IRIG-B sends out analog pulses, which requires a dedicated analog network built on copper wiring. This network must be installed separately, and is challenged by voltage drop due to distance and the number of connected devices, as well as electrical interference. SNTP/NTP can send time synchronization signals via an Ethernet network, but does not account for switching time delays, and therefore doesn’t meet the accuracy requirements. IEEE 1588 time synchronization provides accuracy to the same level as IRIG-B, over existing Ethernet networks like NTP.
IEEE 1588 Upgrade
IEEE 1588-2008 is the technical solution designed to provide cost effective time synchronization from devices in a substation up to the whole utility grid. The challenge to implementing 1588 in a substation is interfacing with devices that only support legacy time synchronization methods. The MultiSync 100 1588 GPS Clock is a cost-effective solution to this challenge. Compact size, with DIN rail mounting, provides great flexibility in installation. Network and analog output ports allow interfacing into legacy time synchronization networks while simultaneously providing IEEE 1588 signals.
The MultiSync 100 supports common network time synchronization methods, including IEEE 1588, C37.238 and SNTP/NTP. The MultiSync 100 also supports common analog methods of time synchronization, including IRIG-B, TTL, and user defined pulse methods. The network and analog methods can be supported simultaneously in the MultiSync 100. One compact, affordable MultiSync 100 GPS Clock can provide timing synchronization for 1588 compliant devices and legacy devices in the substation, providing a simple, low cost upgrade path.
IRIG-B is a separate analog communication network just for timing.
Upgrade to 1588 over Ethernet while maintaining existing timing network for installed relays.
End-to-End Solution for IEEE 1588
The MultiSync 100 is part of a complete end-to-end 1588 time synchronization solution for power system substations and industrial applications. This solution includes:
- MultiSync 100 operating as a GrandMaster clock
- MultiLink ML3001/ML3100 Ethernet switches with 1588 modules
- Universal Relays and 8 Series relays time synchronized to the MultiSync 100
One compact, affordable MultiSync 100 GPS Clock can provide timing synchronization for 1588 compliant devices and legacy devices in the substation, providing a simple, low cost upgrade path.
Ease of Configuration
Configuration screen for MultiSync 100.
The MultiSync 100 provides intuitive software to completely configure all aspects of the clock, as well as to display time synchronization data.
Timing and synchronization options include:
- Worldwide daylight savings and local time configuration using rule based or fixed date methods
Adjustable holdover times for reliability for poor GPS coverage
- Compensation for installation parameters such as GPS signal delay through antenna cable
Programmable digital outputs include:
IEEE 1588-2008 (v2) , including end-to-end and peer-to-peer implementations
C37.238-2011, the “Power Profile” for IEEE1588
NTP / SNTP
Programmable analog outputs include:
IRIG-B (B00x/B22x) time code with selectable IEEE 1344 and AFNOR S87-500 extensions
DFC77 time code
1000Hz (500ms) pulse
User defined pulse sequences with repetition
Expanding existing switchgear or installing new metering capability can be challenging due to space limitations, downtime and installation and equipment costs. GE's Multilin Meter Enclosure is a pre-wired configured, economical solution for both retrofit expansions and small scale meter installations that allows the expansion of existing switchgear capability without expensive and time-consuming design.
When ordered as a meter option the enclosure provides a factory pre-wired, installation-ready metering solution that further drives energy cost savings, by enabling the measurement of key energy usage information along multiple metering points for new or existing systems.
Ordering the enclosure is simple when selected as an option during meter configuration, ensuring correct pre-wired meter-compatible delivery.
Pre-Wired, Configured and Economical Solution for Retrofit and Small Metering Systems
Easy and Rapid Installation
- Factory pre-wired, installation-ready GE metering solution eliminates wiring and associated errors for rapid installation
- Extend metering capability with new systems and existing switchgear without system installation downtime
Cost-Effective Retrofit Solution
- Save up to 200% versus the addition of a new switchgear cabinet
- Compact footprint makes effective use of existing allocated space
- Allows new installations or the expansion of existing switchgear capability without expensive, time-consuming designs, eliminating system downtime
Reliable and Compatible
- Backed by a two-year warranty
- Simple meter option ordering ensures compatibility with GE EPM 2000/6010/6000/7000 meters
- Comprehensive factory testing of both meter and enclosure together
- NEMA1 tested and UL/CUL certified
Applications (New and Retrofit installations)
- Industrial Multi-Tenant Monitoring
- Commercial/Residential Buildings
- Healthcare Institutions
- Government Buildings
- Educational Campuses