MDS Orbit Platform Overview
Due to technology limitations, utilities today install and manage communication networks that are purpose-built for each application. With the MDS Orbit Platform, utilities can now capitalize on uniform security to converge disparate applications within one network and reduce personnel training time. MDS Orbit is a highly versatile industrial wireless platform that provides multiple wireless access technologies depending on terrain, customer concentrations and economy.
MDS Orbit Application Example
Comprehensive Security Framework
A foundational building block for the MDS Orbit Platform is security, a core competency area for GE, and a critical consideration and requirement for evaluating wireless communications systems for customers across all industry types and geographies. GE approached the development of its comprehensive security framework from three different perspectives:
- Securing the device – ensuring that the device isn’t compromised by tampering or alterations
- Securing the user – ensuring that only the right users have access to prevent inappropriate device, network configuration and status entry
- Securing the network – ensuring that only the right devices are on the network by preventing unauthenticated access to the network/services
By securing the device, the user, and the network with open standards-based algorithms and protocols, the MDS Orbit Platform provides the necessary functions and tools to enable utilities to meet cyber security requirements and regulations.
Security Features Embedded in the MDS Orbit Platform
Advanced System Performance
GE’s MDS Orbit Platform has been designed with flexibility to allow use of different communication technologies to meet specific bandwidth, range, frequency, and geographic requirements of industrial applications. The CPU horsepower of an MDS Orbit device can be scaled to meet the application, network, and security performance requirements of a broad range of utility applications.
To further support advanced performance, the MDS Orbit Platform:
- Uses standards based technology
- Is ruggedized in a die-cast aluminum enclosure
- Operates in industrial temperature ranges (-40°C to +70°C)
- Provides IP routing, port forwarding and network address translation
- Leverages GE’s best-in-class quality and testing procedures
Ease of Use and Integration
Several features have been designed into the MDS Orbit Platform to provide ease of use for customers, reducing the learning curve for new users, and reducing the time required for network deployment, troubleshooting and maintenance.
- A common web page and command line interface provides consistency across all MDS Orbit product models.
- The technology-agnostic user interface provides common nomenclature, processes and Wizards for product and network configuration.
- A USB console enables users to locally connect to devices to provision, configure and monitor status.
- Multiple communication ports allow connection to PLCs, RTUs, controllers and other end devices.
- Wall mount and DIN rail mount options allow flexibility in cabinet and enclosure installations.
- Network management with MDS PulseNET provides out-of-the-box management for MDS radio networks.
MDS Orbit Platform – An Interior View
MDS Orbit Platform – An Exterior View
MDS Orbit ECR – An Exterior View